Friday, January 1, 2010

Love; This is It

Love.

This is it. The only thing that matters.

God so LOVED us. LOVE the Lord your God. LOVE your neighbor as you LOVE yourself.

Serving God isn’t an act of sacrifice. Serving God is an act of love. It isn’t about what we give up, it isn’t about how hard we try, it’s about letting Christ in. “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and him with Me” (Rev. 3:20).

I want to serve God whole-heartedly. But my guilt, my fear of punishment, and my trepidation of missing out on a reward, though they may convict me powerfully, produce only a flimsy and temporary conviction because the focus of this guilt and fear is me.

In contrast, the Focus of love is God. The Source of love is God. The Giver of love is God.

Love is more powerful than men, than minds, than emotion, than evil.

We cannot live for God unless we love God.

We need to want to love God. And when we do not feel the desire to love Him, we must pray for the longing to long to love Him. We must draw near to Him, and when we do, He has promised to draw near to us (James 4:8).

God, help us to love You. How we are not already infatuated with You, we don’t understand. Why You desire our love, we cannot quite grasp. Why You love us, is hundreds of millions of miles beyond our power of comprehension. Change us this year. Please fill us with love. Fill us with huge and unquenchable love for You. Let us look forward to heaven—to the light of Your presence, the glory of Your being, and let us be filled with deep and fervent love for You.

No comments: